A group of three civic minded and conscientious men felt that a
good fire company other than the one that had been functioning
to some degree was needed in the West New Brunswick section of
Franklin Township N.J.
John Thompson, Sylvester Bossow, and Herman Ashenback contacted
several fire equipment companies in search of a second hand
piece of fire apparatus. New Jersey fire equipment secured a
1923 GMC Truck with a 500-gallon pump and very little equipment,
to sell to Community Fire Company for $450.00. With the help of
Freeholder C.I. Van Cleef, this amount, plus interest would be
paid off in quarterly installments as soon as the fire company
was financially on its feet.
On August 12th, 1935, a meeting was called and the members at
that time (12) were all asked to attend. The agenda for that
evening was not just one, but to put in place both the line
officers, and chair officers, but also to name this newly
established company. J.H. Thompson made a motion to the members
that the name of the company be Community Fire Company #1, West
New Brunswick, NJ - Mr. H. Morris seconded the motion and the
Because Community needed to financially secure themselves, and purchase
more equipment to help improve the services it rendered to the
community. They began to sponsor and hold card-parties, dances,
dinners and more, just to raise enough money to secure the
things they needed to be fully functional as a department.
On September 16th, 1935, another meeting took place. This
meeting's agenda was a building, where would Community Fire
Company run their services. At the time, they were using J.H.
Thompson Lumber yard, but needed a facility that was more
efficient to their needs.
J.H. Thompson spoke to members of two
available on the corner of Rose and Prospect Street for $200.00.
The floor approved of this move, and the lots were purchased.
Memberís immediately began building of the firehouse from the
ground - a one-story structure with a bay to house the fire
truck and a large room to hold meetings. A great deal went in
the construction of this new building.
In 1938, members felt that the years had put a toll on the
outdated 1923 GMC; membership decided to purchase a new truck. Members
began to raise more funds while a committee investigated a new
truck. In 1945 Community Volunteer Fire Company gave their specifications to
Approved Fire Equipment Corporation, and decided to purchase a
1946 White 750 gallon City Service Truck.
Shortly after, all contracts were signed and other bills paid. The
members of Community began to feel that they were beginning to
outgrow the firehouse. So, property was purchased from Franklin
Township on Hamilton Street. The old firehouse was sold in
February of 1946, and the foundation work began on the new
building in the fall of 1946. Today, Community Vol. Fire -
Rescue Company stands as a land mark for the citizens of our
town, and a company all about our name, Community.